Friday, October 11, 2013

The European Union

To be honest, I have never really been very interested in talking about the EU, and that was probably because I didn't have to deal with this huge topic...until now. So if I have to write about a topic related to the EU, I would choose one of the following five:

  1.  Travelling within the EU
I have a great fondness for travelling and since Austria is a member of the EU, it would be very interesting to know all about the opportunities we have (e.g. as students) and what exactly the EU did to make travelling in Europe simpler.

     2.   Translation and the European Union

Since translation will be a big part of my professional career in the future, I am especially interested in the translation services within the EU; how it became one of the most unique communicating policies with its 24 official languages, who decides on this official languages, etc.

     3.   The EU and Egypt

There has been a lot going on in Egypt for the past two years, and because I am Egyptian myself, I would like to know the EU's relation to Egypt; if this relationship had a bearing on either, etc.

     4.   Abortion

A very important and controversial issue nowadays. Why are there exceptions such as Ireland? Why isn't there an EU-wide law for abortion?

     5.   Impact of EU membership on Ireland

Last semester got me really interested in Irish culture. When Ireland joined the EU, the country experienced a great improvement and the citizens were glad about it, unlike other countries who didn't really care about joining the EU or not. So what exactly did change since Ireland joined? 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so relieved now that I've read your post because I'm not interested in talking about the EU as well! Actually it's so boring and I'm afraid that the next semester is going to be very hard for me. Still, I really like your topics. Abortion and EU and Egypt I like best. As you know I already chose your abortion topic for the KGP so I would be interested in reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shirin, I am happy I am not alone on this ;) I am sure we'll have to learn a looot about the EU in the next couple of weeks, but I think it will be worth it since we want to be translators and might be confronted with topics related the EU later on. Thanks for your comment...I hope I can write a good paper on one of these topics. BTW, I cannot access you blog anymore..?! :/

      Delete
  2. Hey Moni! I like all of your topics very much but I would gladly read something about the EU and Egypt. It would be interesting to know whether the EU intervenes in conflicts like these or not. Maybe you could mention what consequences such crises in countries would have on the EU. I'm sure you can do this very well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Moni, you chose very interesting topics but I personally think that the most interesting one is "EU and Egypt" since we all study arabic. Abortion is also a very good topic I would love to read about :)

    ReplyDelete