Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Power of Smiling

Hey Everyone :)
Today was a good day. Well, at first, as usually around that time of the year, I was worried and anxious thinking about all the exams I have yet to study for and other stuff I have to do. On the train, however, while I was going through my notes once again and desperately trying to memorize a few more things, I noticed an old lady smiling at me—and I couldn’t help myself from smiling back. She then began talking to me, telling me not to take things too seriously but to take it one step at a time and everything will work out great in the end.    

That encounter reminded me of a quote I really like. Mother Teresa once said "Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing". A lot of what Mother Teresa said during her life was concerning smiling, helping the poor and sharing/spreading love. I agree with her on all her quotes concerning smiling, and what this little gesture can do to people. Indeed, a smile can save someone’s day. There are a few small smiles I encountered that not only managed to save my day but managed to get me through life’s burdens (thanks to my family). What I am referring to now is surely something you have all encountered before. There must have been someone that smiled at you and you knew if it weren't for that smile you could've ended up pretty bad in life. I am happy I had people smile at me. There is definitely more to a smile than just opening your mouth wide and showing your lovely (hopefully clean) teeth. It is (like Mother Teresa said) "an action of love, a gift... a beautiful thing". This is why I encourage you to smile wherever you go. SMILE. Life’s just too short to be making long faces and worrying about all kinds of things all the time. Show people you love them; show the stranger that today is a good day. Help the old lady get on the train with a smile on your face, showing her that we are all happy to help her out. Why? (There doesn’t always have to be something good in return just for you to do good, but) I could assure you that once you help her on the train you will see the sweetest smile ever. Yes, she probably doesn’t have any teeth, but she definitely knows how to make your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment