Wednesday, June 11, 2014

CAJ #3: Average Joe Narrative Text

… about how ‘Designer Babies’ might affect the life of an average Joe in 2039 

Friday, June 8, 2039: It is quite early in the morning but I am unusually wide awake. I cannot help but think if my husband and I should have been more open-minded and considered providing our child with the very best. Today’s basketball game at Benjamin Franklin High School, Philadelphia is the reason I am feeling slightly guilty. This game is going to determine whether or not my 18-year-old son Joe will be awarded a sports scholarship. He has been working extremely hard to get here and even though I know he is going to do the best he can, I doubt it will be good enough. That is, unless the couch who will be selecting one of the team players takes into consideration that two of those boys are genetically designed and that this is beyond unfair to the rest of the team. However, I do not think he will. I used to read a lot of articles about infertile couples going through IVF to be given the chance to conceive and others using the technology to be able to choose the baby’s sex. But it had never crossed my mind that the technology could become advanced to a point where couples can preselect athletic traits for their children. How is anyone supposed to even compete against such a ‘perfect’ person? Isn’t the world competitive enough as it is? I have seen those two boys play before and it is like they were born to play sports. It is almost eerie, although they seem to be just like any other of their classmates. Still, I hope Joe can somehow impress the couch as he is truly talented...for a ‘traditional’ boy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment